top of page
KOPIE DSC_8840_edited-min.jpg

We are Treehouse.

Real Estate Management is a matter of trust

Established in spring 2021, Treehouse GmbH is a dynamic and aspiring real estate company based in Basel-Stadt.

Real estate is our passion, and we are excited to lead it successfully into the future together with you.

We look forward to meeting you!

The Team.

With our complementary strengths, we aim to advocate for your needs and anticipate growth alongside you.

Our values.

Our top priority is maintaining personal and transparent relationships with our customers. We view ourselves as facilitators, bridging the gap between owners and tenants while responsibly serving all parties involved. Through sustainable real estate management and customized solutions, we aim to grow alongside our customers.

  • House Rules: What can be prescribed to me?
    The house rules typically govern matters that are already mandated by law. For instance, they outline quiet hours and waste disposal procedures. Therefore, compliance with these regulations is obligatory even without specific house rules. However, details regarding pets, laundry schedules, or stairwell cleaning are often addressed in the house rules. In essence, regulations in the house rules are binding for tenants if the house rules are incorporated into the rental agreement. A simple reference to the house rules in the contract is adequate. However, like any contract, the provisions of the house rules must be reasonable. They should not excessively infringe upon your private life. You can learn more about what this entails and explore specific examples in the linked video below. (Video in German)
  • Rental Deposit: What can my landlord request as a security deposit?
    The rental deposit, also known as security deposit or rental bond, is a security payment made by the tenant to the landlord. This deposit can be used, for example, to cover certain damages that need to be repaired after moving out or to settle claims for outstanding debts. According to the law, the deposit cannot exceed the amount of three full monthly rents. The money is deposited into a blocked account in the name of the tenant. Payment directly to the landlord should never be made. In addition to the traditional security deposit model, there is also the increasingly popular alternative of rental deposit insurance. With the landlord's consent, this option allows for providing security without tying up the sum in a blocked account. You can learn more about rental deposit insurance and closing a traditional rental deposit account in the video linked below. (Video in German)
  • Minimum Rental Period: Can I terminate my lease agreement before it expires?
    A minimum rental period is a contractual clause that obligates both the tenant and the landlord to uphold the rental agreement for a specified duration. Generally, the contract cannot be terminated before this minimum rental period elapses. This provision offers protection to both the tenants and the landlords. However, there are still avenues for tenants to exit such contracts prematurely without incurring the burden of paying rent for two apartments simultaneously. It is generally worth asking the Real Estate Management Agency or the landlord whether early move-out is possible, as straightforward solutions may be available. If not, you can seek a suitable new tenant to assume the rental agreement under the same terms. Additionally, termination for significant reasons is another option to consider. More detailed explanations on this topic can be found in the linked video below. (Video in German)
  • Pets: Am I allowed to keep them in my apartment?
    In Switzerland, keeping pets is generally permitted. However, pet ownership can be restricted by the rental agreement. Larger pets, including dogs and cats, may be prohibited in rental apartments. Violations of such prohibitions can lead to the termination of the lease. Unlike larger pets, small animals such as hamsters cannot be prohibited as long as they are kept in normal numbers and in cages. You can learn more about the specific regulations as well as liability and wear-and-tear issues in the video linked below. (Video in German)
  • Minor maintenance: For which maintenance tasks am I responsible for covering the costs?
    There are basically two types of maintenance work. The normal maintenance and the small maintenance. Work that falls under normal maintenance must be borne by the landlord or landlady. In these cases, the only obligation of the tenants is to report the damage immediately. If greater damage occurs due to failure to report, or if the repair becomes more expensive, then claims for damages can be made to the tenant. All maintenance work that does not count as small maintenance is normal maintenance work. Small maintenance means all those small repairs that can be carried out by the tenant without special expertise and without high costs. An upper limit for small maintenance work is often specified in the rental agreement - for example 150-200 CHF. You can find out more about this topic in the video linked below.
  • Subletting: Am I allowed to sublet my rental apartment?
    In Switzerland, a rental apartment can generally be sublet. However, prior consent from the landlord must be obtained, preferably in writing. Consent can only be refused for certain reasons, such as abusive rents or if subletting would cause significant detriment to the landlord. If none of the permissible reasons apply, consent must be granted. Whether subletting is prohibited in the rental agreement or not is irrelevant. You can find more detailed explanations and information in the linked video below. (Video in German)
  • Subletting: What do I need to consider?
    Anyone who sublets an apartment is legally considered a landlord. Therefore, you must adhere to all legal regulations that apply to the owner of the apartment. For instance, in many cantons, the initial rent must be communicated using an approved official form. Additionally, the rent requested must be reasonable and justified. No profit may be derived from subletting an apartment. It's also important to note that your obligations towards the primary landlord are not transferred to the subtenant. Therefore, you are liable for any damage caused by the subtenant to your primary landlord. Additionally, the full rent must be paid to your landlord, regardless of whether the sublease was successful or not. Claims against the subtenant can be pursued through legal channels, independently of the primary landlord. You can find detailed explanations on this topic in the linked video below. (Video in German)
  • Apartment Termination: How do I terminate my rental apartment?
    When terminating a rental apartment, it is best to follow the following steps: Check rental agreement: Check your rental agreement for applicable notice periods, dates and minimum rental periods. Check Local Regulations: If the rental agreement does not specify termination dates, review the regulations of your canton. In case of early termination - seek a new tenant: If you wish to terminate your apartment lease before the notice period or minimum rental period ends, search for at least one suitable new tenant who can sign a contract under the same terms. Prepare the letter of termination: You are welcome to use the template on our website under "Terminate apartment". Sign the letter of termination: Sign the letter by hand. Electronic signatures or similar are not permitted. Send Termination Letter: Send the signed termination letter to the Real Estate Management Agency or your landlord in advance. We recommend sending it by registered mail. The letter must be received before the notice period expires. Please note that termination notices sent via email are not valid under the law. You can find a more detailed explanation of the individual steps in the linked video below. (Video in German)

Interested in learning more about us?

We look forward to hearing from you and are happy to help you with any queries you may have!

Contact us.

bottom of page